Prevention of Asthma
The importance of prevention of asthma, like any other disease, is difficult to overestimate. It would seem that for a long time all know how to prevent this disease, and very many, anyway, trying to avoid her. But, as shown by medical practice, flow of patients with symptoms of bronchial asthma continues to grow relentlessly.
Talking about the same thing and the numbers: the incidence of asthma is steadily approaching 10%. One in ten people in varying degrees, suffering from lack of air, suffocation! And all this despite the annual observance of the Day against bronchial asthma, the huge money spent on the treatment of the disease, its diagnosis and rehabilitation of patients.
Yes, environment, nutrition, the rapid introduction of synthetic materials - all of it plays a huge role in the spread of asthma, but also needs to aggressively infiltrate the minds of the population and knowledge of prevention of this disease. The prophylaxis was talking about a few decades ago, may already be out of date today, although its basic principles remain unchanged.
Prevention of bronchial asthma, like any other disease, can be primary and secondary. Primary prevention is a complex of measures aimed at preventing the occurrence of asthma. Secondary prevention aims to prevent the development of complications of the disease, to prevent asthma attacks in those people who already had asthma before or are ill at the moment. In some cases, allocate, and tertiary prevention of asthma, the aim of which is to exclude the lethal outcome in case of complicated course of asthma. However, most experts believe that death from asthma is more of casuistry than the possible outcome of the disease. Therefore, tertiary prevention, largely, applies only to doctors-resuscitators, and this article will not be considered.
Widely known expression that any disease is easier to prevent than to treat, and not only easier but also cheaper. Therefore, the principles of primary prevention of bronchial asthma must own any person, regardless of gender, age and social status. For example, starting from an early age, parents should teach their children to clean the room, to wet cleaning, for ventilation, which does not allow to gather dust in the living room.
A special approach to the primary prevention needs to be people with a high risk of the disease with bronchial asthma. These include:
- persons with a hereditary predisposition to asthma, including children whose parents or close relatives suffer from asthma;
- undergoing or suffering from atopic dermatitis;
- suffered or suffer from any allergies (medications, seasonal, food, etc.);
- having close relatives who have suffered a particular allergic;
- persons with symptoms bronchoobstructive syndrome, occurring in various (mostly respiratory) diseases of the respiratory system;
- workers, whose working conditions favor the development of asthma (work in a dusty environment, with a variety of volatile chemicals, including perfumes, household chemicals, etc., farmers).
To prevent the progression of the disease, all the above mentioned persons, you must pay attention to the following measures of primary prevention of asthma:
- improvement of environmental conditions as possible (e.g. permanent or temporary change of residence);
- frequent cleaning, a minimum number of carpets, soft toys, books in the living room, especially the bedrooms;
- observance of rules of personal hygiene;
- to monitor the cleanliness of Pets and it is advisable not to have any;
- to use hypoallergenic items;
- proper and healthy diet high quality products with a minimum amount of food additives, a thorough wash products, especially from the store or market;
- to use the airborne: deodorants, air fresheners, perfumes, especially in the form of sprays, etc.; to reduce and, if possible, to quit Smoking, including passive Smoking excluded;
- elimination of occupational hazards (if there are growing signs of bronchial asthma, the best option is to change jobs);
- reception of any medicines only after consulting a doctor;
- Troubleshooting in the shortest time of any allergic reactions and binding determination of their source;
- prevention of contact with a known product (object) that causes allergies; prompt treatment of respiratory infections;
- maintaining a healthy lifestyle, strengthening immunity, healthy habits, regular exercise.
- sanatorium preventive treatment in areas with a Maritime climate or in the highlands.
Pregnant to prevent asthma in the unborn child, it should be relevant to the prevention very seriously. To categorically exclude Smoking in a timely manner to treat Allergy and infectious diseases, to eat right. Breastfeeding another child protection from bronchial asthma.
If to prevent the disease failed, and began to appear the first signs of suffocation, then it is time to begin secondary prophylaxis of bronchial asthma. To avoid complications in the future, first and foremost, you must strictly adhere to doctor prescribed treatment.
Timely diagnosis and therapy of bronchial asthma is the primary and overriding principle of secondary prevention. Only through him can avoid progression of the disease and to exclude severe asthma. Of course, in addition to serious approach to antiastenicescoe therapy, secondary prevention includes the following measures:
- timely treatment of chronic diseases of broncho-pulmonary system, including filibuster, not associated with asthma (COPD);
- complete cessation of Smoking, avoiding passive Smoking, the exception of alcoholic beverages;
- it is necessary to remove the patient from the room anything that can accumulate dust, regular cleaning and airing out;
- avoid contact with Pets, including not recommended to keep the aquarium as fish food has a high asthmatic activity;
- special caution should be exercised in the spring and summer, when blooming plants and are frequent insect bites;
- the complete exclusion from the menu allergic products, and foods containing large amounts of nutritional supplements;
- shown holding a therapeutic massage, self-massage;
- recommended breathing exercises (breath in the Buteyko method, various breathing exercises, inhalation therapies using nebulizers, etc.);
- good results for the prevention of exacerbations of asthma shows acupuncture, herbal medicine, speleotherapy (treatment in salt caves).
You should try not to hurt SARS, which contributes to hardening, sleep in the fresh air, prophylactic administration of vitamins. Also reduce the frequency of asthma attacks and the methods of traditional therapy, they facilitate the disease and accelerate recovery.
As can be seen, the principles of secondary prevention of asthma is very closely intertwined with primary prevention, and this is no accident. The set of all measures aimed at preventing or eliminating the disease always show a better effect than applying them separately.